Managing five social media accounts at a time is a full time job — if not two. If you’re trying to streamline your campaigns across platforms, you’d benefit from keeping the links to your articles in one place. (A Linktree, for example, would be the perfect tool…)
But how do you know which links to include in your Linktree or when sharing posts to other platforms? Should you post your profile, or one really awesome tweet you had?
For X, we recommend starting with the URL that leads directly to your account on this popular social media platform. If you don’t know where to find it, don’t worry — we’ve got you covered.
Your X URL is the web address of your entire profile. It always starts with X.com, followed by a forward slash and your username, or handle. Even without a copy-and-paste, it’s a straightforward formula made for easy sharing.
- To confirm a X username, log in to X on a desktop browser, click on Profile on the left side of the screen, and view it in the browser’s address bar.
- Your X URL sends X users directly to someone’s profile. From there, these users can engage with your tweets, follow you, or like, retweet, and reply to tweets. Although we often shorten this to our “@[username],” dropping that username into the above URL structure leads us to the desired place.
As an X user, you can use your URL to:
- Share with friends and gain new followers: Businesses and individuals grow a X following by attracting users to their profile, who would hopefully ‘like’ it if they want to see more of the content. One of the easiest ways to start growing this audience is by sharing your X URL on other social media channels, in email, or even on physical media like business cards, company pamphlets, or restaurant menus. The more they share this link, the more likely you are to attract new followers to your X profile and other social media accounts.
- Include it in social media sections on other websites: Some social media platforms allow you to embed links to other profiles. Use this early and often. Finding someone worth following on one platform often means looking for more of their content on others. This is a sure-fire way to grow as people search for more of what you have to offer — especially if you’re posting exclusively on different platforms. Content on X, for example, shouldn’t be a repost from your Instagram page, but it should all solidify your brand identity.
Here’s how to add your X link to other social media accounts.
Here are the steps to include your X URL on an Instagram profile:
- Log in to your Instagram account
- Tap/click the profile picture icon in the bottom right corner
- Tap/click Edit Profile
- Paste your X URL into the website field
To include a X URL on a Facebook profile, here’s what you can do:
- Log in to a Facebook account
- Tap/click the profile picture to be sent to the profile page
- Tap/click Update Info
- Tap/click Basic and Contact Info
- Look for websites and social links section below the Social Links one, and tap/click Add Another Social Link
- Select X from the dropdown menu
- Input your X profile name
- Confirm who can see the X profile/URL
To include it in business cards, resumes, or email signatures
X users can also incorporate their URLs on menus, business cards or in offline advertisements, among other places. While some of these areas may be trickier than others, email is an easy place to start.
Here are the steps to add your X URL to your email signature:
- Log in to your email service provider (ESP)
- Tap/click Settings
- Toggle the Email Signature settings
- Paste your X URL
How to find your X URL?
To find your X URL on your iOS or Android mobile devices, follow these steps:
- Open the X app
- Tap/click on the picture icon at the top left corner of the screen, and the username will appear below your name in the sidebar
- Add your username after the X link (www.X.com/username)
If you’re a desktop user, follow these steps below to find your X URL:
- Open a web browser and input X.com into the address bar
- Find the profile icon in the left column and click it
- Your browser’s address bar at the top of the screen will display your X URL as X.com/username
Can I change my X URL?
Yes! You can change your X account anytime to create a new username. This option is found in the account settings and, once changed, leaves you with a new URL that displays your updated handle, or @username.
To change a X URL:
- Tap/click on Settings on the sidebar menu
- Tap/click Your Account, then Account Information
- Tap/click the username box and type in your new one
- Tap/click Done
There you go! Now that you’re all set to gather a following, it’s good to know that using Linktree helps connect your audience to your network beyond X. Help your followers find you. Start linking today.